Meet Jasmine...A Promising Future
Jasmine is a single mom with a promising future. She is studying to become a registered nurse and relies on CUES as her extended family to help nurture and guide her children. Jasmine learned about Holy Name’s reputation for educational excellence years ago. When the time came for her oldest to attend school, she visited the school and felt a strong connection. “All the teachers are so welcoming, and I felt confident my child would be loved and cared for,” said Jasmine.
This year, Jasmine has two children at Holy Name. She feels her fourth grader, Jayden and her preschooler, Jordan are thriving in a nurturing and caring environment. She is also grateful that CUES is there for her. “I found myself without housing during the pandemic. Swanny, Director of the Student and Family Support Service program at CUES, helped me find housing and connected me to community resources to guide me in my life goals.”
Jasmine is participating in Omaha Bridges, a 10-week class focused on discovering and overcoming barriers to success. She is working with a community partner to improve her credit score and is saving for a down payment to purchase a house.
Today, our children and families face more challenges than ever before. Jasmine’s family is one family out of hundreds that the CUES School System has positively impacted by providing excellent education coupled with student and family support. “CUES is my extended family! They helped me during a housing crisis, continue to connect me to resources that help me and my children, and provide a safe place for my children to learn and grow,” said Jasmine.
We must increase our capacity to serve our families and our east Omaha neighborhoods. Our children and families need additional support beyond the classroom.
- 32% need social and emotional support. Mental health issues have quadrupled in the past 18 months.
- 65% of our families live in neighborhoods that are 42% below Omaha’s median income.
- 100% receive financial assistance so their child(ren) can attend a CUES school.
- 100% qualify for free & reduced lunch.
We began a campaign in late 2017, to raise $12.8 million to help elevate our schools to the highest levels of excellence. We are proud that the campaign dollars have allowed us to:
- Create an early childhood program in all three schools.
- Begin a student and family support program to improve each family’s circumstance and positively impact home life for students.
- Increase teacher salaries to match public offerings so we can retain and recruit teaching staff.
- Implement technological solutions for academic success and communications platforms so information is easily accessible.
We are $1 million away from our goal, and to help us get there a very generous donor is providing a $100,000 CHALLENGE gift. This is a dollar-for-dollar match! Will you contribute and help us continue our mission? There is still so much we can do and we need to expand our student and family support program to provide a promising future for our children.
Every gift makes a difference! Thank you for investing in our children’s futures.